Special Thanks, to Mary
F. Holtz, Town Historian for the following information.
Updates: 28 May 2000
Bennet Family Cemetery
"Oldest cemetery in Cheektowaga"
Cheektowaga Historical Landmark
Burials from 1810 - 1980
Data recorded September 17, 1983 and 27 May 2000
Walden Ave. & Harlem Road
Town of Cheektowaga
Erie County, New York
- ARMITAGE *
- BENNET *
- BOOTHROY *
- DOAT *
- GRE? (GREIDER) GARDNER
- LESTER *
- MULLETT *
- PADDOCK *
- RAY *
- WARNER *
Related Information and
Italic = Genealogy
- 1 "Erie County, New York Obituaries As Found in the
Files of the Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society",
compiled by Bill and Martha Reamy,
An index to obituaries published in Buffalo newspapers.
- 2"Marriages from Buffalo, N.Y. Newspapers 1811 -
author June Partridge Zintz, 1999
[B.C.A.] = Buffalo Daily Advertiser
- 1p - no information
- 2p - Feb 23, ____, Mary (left corner),
Esther (right corner), daughter(s) of Thomas & Mary J.
- 3p - Romas & Mary J. ARMITAGE 1
- 4p - Joseph ARMITAGE, Born
Lancashire, Eng., Jul 25, 1831 Died June 1, 1886
- 5p - Thomas ARMITAGE, Died Oct.
2, 1904 Age 57 Years
- Mary J., His wife, Died April 29, 1907,
Age 49 Years, 8 months, 19 days
- 6P - Feb 1,
- 7P - Albert, son of S. & _____
STEBBINS, Aug 9, A.D. 1818, AE 1 y, 5m, 13 da ,
"An Affectionate & Lovely Child"
- 8p - ________, STEBBINS, __, __,
- 9p - Marking cannot be visually
- 10p - Marking cannot be visually
- 11p - David _ _ _ MOE, Born in
Yorkshire, Eng., Feb 1, 1807, Died Cheektowaga, NY, Mar 3, 1870,
AE 63 yrs.
- 12p - (west face) At Rest, Catherine
ARMITAGE, Born at Alsage, Lorraine, Germany, August 24,
Died September 27, 1924.
- (north face) At Rest, Joseph
Born at Lancashire, England, July 25, 1831, Died June 1,
- 13p - E_isah _______, Feb 25,
____, age ??, 8 m. 26 d.
- 14p - no information
- 15p - no information
- 16p - no information
- 17p - MOTHER / FATHER (small stones laying on the ground)
- 18p - (Six bricks laid flat)
- 19p - no information
- 20p - no information
- 21p -
BENNET, _oc__, ? 9, 1905, Ae 30/39
yrs, --, 1 da (Broken & missing stone)
- 22p - M.B. ?
- 23p - Amos RAY 1
, Born March 10, 1806, Died
November 20, 1863 ,age
24p - Mary FELTON,daughter of
Robert WATTS. Died March ?, 1825. Aged 6? Years.
1 RAY, Amos,
Cheektowaga, NY, Nov 20, 1863, age 57.
- 25p - Robert WATTS, Born ? 22,
- 26p - Gerry M. WATTS, Born December
28, 1864, Died July 8, 1873
- 27p - no information (broken
- 28p - James, son of Robert and Matilda
Died Sept 20, 1850. Aged ?
- 29p - John,
GRE? (GREIDER?), Died July 31, 1819,
Age 35 Years. (Broken stone )
- 31p - no information
- 32p - markings cannot be visually
- 33p - SPAETH, Mother, Sarah
E., 1890 - 1937, Father, Christian, 1892 - 1943.
- 34p - (front) D. Chapin BENNET, Born Dec 25,
1822, Died Oct 8, 1897, Age 74 Years.
(David Chapin Bennet, another son
of Elnathan is buried in the cemetery with his two wives,
Mary A. Winspear and Hannah E. Boothroy, daughter of George
- (back unreadable).
- 35p - Mary A. WINSPEAR 1, Wife of
D. Chapin BENNET, Mar 19, 1824, Died Nov 17, 1880.
Age 56 Years. (Born in
36p - Elnathan, son of D. Chapin
& A. Mary BENNET, Died Sept 1867, Age 2 Months., 27 days.
Mary A. WINSPEAR, wife of D. Chapin, Cheektowaga, Nov.
17, 1880, age 56.
- 37p - Frank C. BENNET, Born June 27,
1866, Died Jan 5, 1928.
- 38p - Warren BENNET, 1907 -
- 39p - Edward BENNET, 1909 -
- 40p - Psyche MULLETT, wife of
Elnathan BENNET, Born ? 11, June 27, 1795,
Died March 26, 1865. age
41p - Elnathan BENNET 1
,2, Born ? Oct
4, 1789, Died March 26, 1863, Aged 73 Years.
Psyche, Darien, NY, wid. of Elnathan, March 30, 1865, age
69; bur, in Cheektowaga, NY.
Elnathan to Psyche MULLETT, 24
Jan. 1849 [B.C.A. 6 Feb 1849]
- (Son of Elnathan Boardwell BENNETT
and was born at Paulette, Vermont. His second wife, Jerusha Munro,
was the mother of this nine children).
- (Founding Father, First Town Assessor
& First Commissioner of Highways, they were called path
masters, who were overseers of the highways and roads, which were
principally dirt paths at this time. He was thought to be the
second permanent white settler of the area, in 1810 he building a
log cabin on the farm of the Ernst Family, where he opened a
tavern in 1816, that would later be used as a schoolhouse. A few
years later he would build the house on the corner of Walden and
Harlem Roads, which would be open as a tavern and where the Bennet
family would continue to live until the late 1950s. The first
Cheektowaga town meeting would be held at the Bennet
42p - Roxana HITCHCOCK 1
,2, wife of
Elnathan BENNET, Died Jan 13, 1818, Aged 55 Years.
Elnathan, Cheektowaga, NY, March 24, 1863, age
43p - Jerusha MUNRO, wife of
Elnathan BENNET, Died June 3, 1810, Aged 47 Years.
Elnathan to Roxana HITCHCOCK,
30 June 1841 [B.C.A. 2 JULY 1841]
- 44p - Sarah MUNERO, daughter of
E. & Jerusha M. Bennet, Died Sept 16, 1825, Aged 1 Years, 7
Months and 27 Days.
- 44p - ______ BENNET, Died
- 46p - BENNET, James Bassan,
1817 - 1864, Mary Amelia DAVIS, 1826 - 1916, Warren Elnathan, 1828
- 1890. "Children of Elnatham and Jerusha Bennet Buried
- 48p - Charles W. BENNET, 1906 - 1980.
- 49p - no information.
- 50p - Ellen SANDERS (Wife of
William N. BENNET)
- 51p - William N. BENNET, Born Mar.
14, 1819, Died Dec 31, 1905. (Son
of Elnathan, his two wives, Ellen
Sanders and June Warner2, who was
the mother of his two children , Frank and Jenny TEILSON,
all have markers in the plot).
- 52p - Jane N. WARNER 2, wife of Wm.
N. BENNET, Died Sept 20, 1852, 32 Years.
53p - Frank ?.?.?
N. to Jane N. WAGNER
, 15 April 1846 [B.C.A. 28
- 54p -Moses Edwin BENNET, 1832 - 1897,
"Behold The Lamb of God That Taken Away The Sins of The
- 55p - In Loving Memory Julia
LESTER 2, Died Feb
56p - markings cannot be visually
Frank to Julia E. PADDOCK,
17 Mar 1870 [B.C.A. 19 Mar
- 57p - markings cannot be visually
- 58p - markings cannot be visually
- 59p - Mary DOAT 1, Died Nov
9, 1818, Age 25 years, 10 months.
- 60p - no information
- 61p - (front) George DOAT 1, Born at
?, Scotland, Jan 31, 1786, Died at Buffalo, Sept 23, 1867, Age 81
y,7 m, 23
Mary WILLIAMS, wife of
George DOAT, Born Scotland, Sept 2, 1789, Died Buffalo, July
George, Sept 23, 1867, age 81 y, 7 m, 23 d.
- (side 1) Mary DOAT 1, Died Nov
9, 1848, Age 28 years, 10 months.(Broken stone)
(back) no information
1 DOAT, Mary,
Nov 9, 1848, age 28 years, 10 months.
- (side 2) DOAT, Died ?
- (bottom) DOAT , Oct 18,
- 62p - no information
- 63p - no information
- 64p - In Memory of George BOOTHROY (?)
(Farmer and milk dealer and would
serve as the town auditor.
His two wives Mary GARDNER COLSWORTH and Elizabeth JEFFERSON both
of England are also
buried in the cemetery).
- 65p - no information
- Grave Marker
- ALSO KNOWN TO BE BURIED IN THIS
family - 10 sites (6 listed).
- Leonard BENNETT, Killed at
Bull Run 1861, Burial place ?
- Jenny Teilson BENNET, daughter of
William N. Bennet.
BOOTHROY, daughter of George
- Mary GARDNER COLSWORTH ,
wife of George BOOTHROY
- Three graves for the GRIDER family, for
whom Greider Street was named. (1 listed?)
- Elizabeth JEFFERSON , wife of
- One stone bears the inscription "In
memory of Julia Paddock
LESTER, 2 niece of
Psyche", and had engraved on it the names of seven of Elnathan's
children. Julia had been brought up in the Elnathan Home and had
been treated like a daughter.
Bennet Family Cemetery
Burials : Between 75 - 100 burials.
Caretaker : Town of Cheektowaga
Condition of cemetery :
Broken and worn stones. Grounds are
and plans are under way to preserve the headstones from further
Contact Person :
Known by other names :
On top of a hill behind retail stores
and a car dealership, on the northwest corner of Walden Ave. and
Harlem Rd., across from the Thruway Plaza.
Location of cemetery records :
- Source of Information :
The Family Bennet Family Cemetery
Cheektowaga First Settlers
Saturday, May 27, 2000
Mary F. Holtz, Town Historian and Lee Nowicki,
- Bennet Family Cemetery
- May, 28, 1989
- Cheektowaga "Revisiting a little plot
- Buffalo News, Friday, May 26, 2000,
- Year Established : 1810
In September 1983, the property on
which the cemetery was located was sold to Joseph Basil..
On November 7, 1988, Basil Oldsmobile deeded the historical family
cemetery to the Town of Cheektowaga.
- [Home] [Erie
County Cemeteries Online]
York Cemeteries] [What's
County Town Online Data]
This information may not be used for profit
or reprinted and
published with out permission from the authors.
- Copyright ©2000 Leo J. &
Katherine M. Kopp All rights