Updated : 13 February 203
Unless otherwise noted all listings
are tombstone readings, and the information has not been provided
by any official cemetery source.
It is offered here as a tool to promote further research, and
should not be considered as verified proof for genealogical
This information is to be used as a reference, please check with
the source for conformation.
Readings have been doubled checked, but mistakes are possible.
Town of Lancaster, Erie County, New York
Egelston, Scheu, Sheldon [?],
- "Gone to rest", Adaline, daughter of Eria & Melvina A.
EGELSTON, died Apr. 17, 1851, 18
years, 10 ds.
- Melvina A. EGELSTON, wife of
Eri EGELSTON, died Dec. 14, 1873), aged 63 yrs.
- "Asleep in Jesus", Eri EGELSTON,
died Oct.3, 1877, aged 69 years.
- Eliza TYLER, died Feb. 10, 1879,
aged 69 years.
- "Asleep in Jesus Blessed Sleep" (Headstone - E. TYLER)
- May L. EGELSTON, died April 16,
1881, aged 23 years (Headstone - May L.)
- A. Jeanette EGELSTON , his wife,
died Jan. 8, 1911 age 74 yrs.
- Wallace H. EGELSTON, died Mar.
22, 1894, age 63. ( see # 6)
- His wife, Mary, died July 11, 1857, aged 36 years 1 mos. &
5 ds'. ( see # 9)
- Isairh EGELSTON, died Jan. 4,
1850, aged 31(7) years, 5 mos. & 3 (8) ds. (see # 8)
(headstone flat on ground) I.E.
- (Illegible marker broken off and laying flat. Plot marker,
with a verse at the bottom,
has fallen off its base. Headstone, flat on the ground - A.L.E.) (
see #11 & 13 )
- Mary EGELSTON, wife of Isairh
EGELSTON, died July 11, 1857, age 36 yrs., 1 mo, 25 days.
Albert Lewis EGELSTON, son of Isairh
Egelston. (Impossible to read dates)
- In memory of Lanson EGELSTON
Jr., who died Dec. 15th 1852, aged 21
years 6 mos & 6 days. (Foot marker, lies flat)
- In memory of Loretta, wife of Lanson EGELSTON, who died May 14th 1850,
aged 62 years 3 mos & 17 days. (Foot marker - L.E.)
- Cornelius, son of Lanson & Loretta EGELSTON, died Mar. 10, 1845, AE 23 years 7
mos & 10 d's.
*List of CIVIL WAR Vets; shows a Cornelius EGELSTON ?
(PLOT MARKER) Lanson EGELSTON, died Aug. 13, 1856 , aged 74
Loretta, wife of Lanson EGELSTON,
died May 14, 1850, aged 62 years 4 (?) months ( see # 12 ) ( see #
- Nathaniel , Son of Lanson & Loretta EGELSTON died Aug. 25. 1843,
age 19 yrs, 5 mo, 17 days (Stone broken and laying flat)
- Diadema, wife of Wm. SHELDON (?),
died Aug 5, 1843, age 75 yrs. (Stone broken and laying flat).
- In memory of Corydon SHELDON who
died Jan 21, 1829,
in the 21st years of his age (verse). 'In loving tribute by his
wife and only son, Jairus Corydon ____, June 25, 1862.
- Emeline, daughter of Lanson & Loretta EGELSTON, died June 8, 1811, age 4 y's 3 mo
& 24 d's.
- Adaline, daughter of Lanson & Loretta EGELSTON, died Apr. 10, 1825, age 13 y's 8
mo & 1 day.
- (These two unmarked graves, may be in the lot of Cleander
- M. (Miles) EGELSTON, beginning
with # 21).
- Cleander M. EGELSTON, died
Oct.21, 1891, age 57 y's, 4 mos, 24 d's. (headstone ) Father.
- Mary S. , his wife, died Aug. 16, 1912, age 65 years (
Headstone ) Mother.
- George G., 1868 - 1898 (Headstone) George.
- Lora J., 1877 - 1901 (Headstone) Lora J.
- Ralph C., 1863 - 1906 (Headstone) Ralph.
- Cora S., 1872 - 1952 (Headstone) Cora ( Wife of # 7).
- Paul A. SCHEU, 1870 - 1945.
- Mamie S.SCHEU, 1873 - 1952.
- (also on Cleander M. EGELSTON
plot marker) Mamie S., 1873 -1952 (wife of # 27).
- Mildred E. SCHEU, 1895 - 1947
(daughter of #27 & 28 ).
- - 33. Two unmarked graves, locations unknown, were, according
to Mr. Burkhart,
who lives on a part of the old Egelston farm, a niece (and her
baby) of Mamie S. SCHEU, # 28
Source of Information :
- Personal visits to cemetery
- Town of Elma History ~
- From papers located at the
Lancaster Historical Society 27 December
1997 - Copied by Mrs. Godfrey Morgan, Mrs. James E. Wilson,
- Location tombstone reading 28 August, 1998
Leo J. & Katherine M. Kopp
Egelston / Bergold Cemetery
County Cemeteries Online]
York Cemeteries] [What's
County Town Online Data]
Complied : 3 August 1998
- Location :
This large cemetery is located on the north side of Genesee
Street, next to 6030 Genesee Street,
approximately one-quarter mile east of the intersection of
Pavement Road. Town of Lancaster, Erie County, New York
Year Established : 1811 -
Condition of cemetery : The cemetery
is well maintained.
In earlier years the property was owned by the Bergold
(Located on the North & East - Pine Hill Conc. mix and on the
west by Elvin Eberle), Size 185' by 225'.
Source of Information : Tombstone Readings, see Source of Information.
Contact Person :
Location of cemetery records :
Known by other names : In 1862, the cemetery was named
by : Leo J. Kopp and Katherine M. Kopp
Eggleston has a Eggleston web page, Family
Roots Home Page.
- Brian Tyrrell
(#27. Cora S., 1872 - 1952, is my g.grandmother)
The following information is from
- Florence E. (EGGLESTON) Tyrrell
- Russell Eggleston, brother to Florence E. (EGGLESTON) Tyrrell
Century Deed Map Lists ~
Cemetery ~ Early Settlers
~ News letter,
Postmasters ~ 1824 - 1958
Small & Pioneer Cemeteries ~ Small
& lost cemeteries
of Lancaster Cemeteries ~ All known cemeteries
Enlistments in the War
Mary's Cemetery ~ War Veterans