Updated: 26 March 2000
Ralph Wilson Stadium, Outside Gate 7
Town of Orchard Park,
Erie County, New York
- Catherine 1834 -1924.
- Mary Maria, wife of F. ___ Bowers , (Broken stone) born Sept
28, 1820 - died July 16, 1886.
- John, Feb 6, 1884.
- John, son of Joseph & (Tryplunia ?) Sheldon, died January
16, 1832 age 3 years.
- Joseph, dies April 4, 1855, age 67 yrs, 9 mo.
- Sally Ann, daughter of Joseph & (Tryplunia ?) Sheldon,
died Sept 11, 1852, 15 yrs, 9 mo, 7 ds.
- (Tryplunia ?), wife of Joseph Sheldon, age 77 yrs. (Broken
- Harriet M. Bowers, wife of William H. Stansil, died Feb 1,
- Eleanor, wife of W.E. Taylor, Feb 25, 1825, age 29 yrs.
- Anna, 1822 - 1907.
- Eddy, son of Hamblelon J. & (Inus?) Thurston, died Aug 13,
1857, age 3 yrs, 7 mo, 19 ds., "Our Little Eddy"
- Edw. S., 1858 - 1912.
- H.J., May 20, 1870, age 56 yrs,11 mo, 3 ds.
- Millie E., Sept 18, 7(8?), age 5 yrs. 7 ds.
- 4 broken stones
- 1 Base
- ________, Annie M., June 27, 1868, 3 yrs., 8 mo
- ________, Charles H., died January 21, 1868 age 5 yrs, 7 mo. 5
- Personal Visit:
- 26 March 2000
"Buffalo Magazine", The Buffalo News,
- The Silent
- "Outside Gate 7 at Rich Stadium
lurks the realm of the dead.
- When you pass by monday night en
route to the Bills-Broncos game,
- you'll notice - if you haven't
already - a small landscaped cemetery surrounded by a
- It's the Sheldon family
cemetery. Members of the Sheldon Clan and
- some other rest here while a
maelstrom of activity goes on nearby during the fall.
- Football games are played where
once the Sheldon farmed, and before that, Erie Indians lived.
- The Sheldon started burying
their dead in the plot near Gate 7 in the 1830's,
- according to John Printy,
Orchard Park town historian. There are about a dozen marked graves
- and an unknown number of others.
The last body was interred in the 1940s.
- "For years prior to the building
of the stadium, it [the cemetery] was almost unheard of",
- Printy says. It was overgrown
and generally neglected.
- Printy wanted the cemetery
preserved and was able to focus media attention on his effort.
- The town, Erie County, and some
Sheldon family descendants, the junior Yorkers and Bills,
- owner Ralph Wilson offered
assistance, Printy says.
- It led to the cemetery being
refurbished and rededicated. There now stands a monument,
- erected by the town and the
Orchard Park Historical Society, marking the rededication.
- "I'm very proud it's being
preserved." says Printy.
- Think about it as you
- [Home] [Erie County Cemeteries
- This information
may not be used for profit or reprinted and published with out
permission from the author.
© Copyright 2000 Katherine M. Kopp All rights reserved.