Updated: 11 August
Albany County in 1683, Tryon County in 1772,
Montgomery County in 1784, Ontario County in 1789,
Genesee County in 1802, Niagara County in 1808 to Erie County in
New York State Area Key,'Formation of Counties in New York', by
of Erie County
on each Township
If you are looking
for a cemetery in Williamsville, New York, you would find it under
Amherst, New York
Buffalo - Cheektowaga area and
Tonawanda area is confusing..
are formation of towns, not dates of settlement)
Encyclopedia of New York
- Alden (center / village): First Settlement 1810, formed from
Clarence in 1823 and part of Marilla in 1853, includes the Village
of Alden and Crittenden.
- Amherst (town): First house build in 1799, formed from Clarence in
1818 and part of Marilla in 1853, includes Eggertsville,
Getzville, Swormsville and Williamsville.
- Aurora (town): Formed from Batavia, as "Willink" in 1804, with a
name change to Aurora in 1818,
includes Village of East Aurora and the Hamlets of Griffiths
Mills, Jewetville, and West Falls.
- Boston (town): Boston (1817 - Formed from Eden)
- Brant (town): Brant - Brant Center - Farnham(1839 -
Formed from Collins & Evans)
- Buffalo (city): (County Seat) Black Rock - Buffalo (1810 -
Formed from Clarence)
- Cheektowaga (town): Bellvue - Cheektowaga - Depew - Pine
Hill/Ridge - Sloan (1896) - South Cheektowaga, Pine Hill (1839 -
Formed from Amherst)
- Clarence (town):
Clarence Center - Harris Hill - Wolcottsville (1808 - Formed from
- Colden (town): Colden (1827 - Formed from Holland)
- Collins (town): Collins - Collins Center - Gowanda -
Taylor Hollow (1821 - Formed from Concord)
- Concord (town): Concord - East Concord - Springville (1812
- Formed from Willink/Aurora)
- Eden (town): - East Eden - Eden (1812 - Formed from
- Elma (town): Elma - Springbrook (1856 - Formed from
Aurora & Lancaster)
- Evans (town): Angola - East Evans - Evans - Evans Center
- North Evans (1821 - Formed from Eden)
Island (town): Grand Island (1852
- Formed from Tonawanda)
- Hamburg (town): Hamburg (1812 - Formed from
- Holland (town): Holland (1818 - Formed from
(Southwest corner of Erie County) - Tonawanda (Northeast corner of
- Lackawanna (city):
(1909 - Formed from West Seneca)
- Lancaster (town / village): Bowmansville - Lancaster (1833 -
Formed from Clarence)
- Marilla (town): Marilla (1853 - Formed from Alden &
- Newstead (town): Akron (1804 - Formed from Batavia/Erie)
(Named Erie until 1831)
Collins (town): Langford - North
Collins (1852 - Formed from Collins/Shirley) ( Named Shirley until
Park (town / village):
Hamburg/Ellicott in 1850, Originally named Ellicott, then changed
to East Hamburg in 1852).
- Sardinia (town): Formed from Concord in 1821.
- Tonawanda (city / town): Formed from Buffalo in 1836, includes
city of Tonawanda, North Tonawanda and Kenmore.
- Wales (town): Formed from Aurora in 1818, includes Wales, South
Wales,Wales Center, and Wales Hollow.
Seneca (town): Formed from Cheektowaga,
Hamburg, East Hamburg & Lancaster as "Seneca" in 1851, name changed in 1852 to West
Seneca, includes Blossom, Ebenezer and Gardenville.
County Cemeteries Online] [New
is information my not
be used for profit or reprinted and published without permission from
© Copyright 2003 KMK
All rights reserved.