Updated: 23 September 1999
Unless otherwise noted all listings are
tombstone readings, and the information has not been provided by any
official cemetery source.
It is offered here as a tool to promote further research, and should
not be considered as verified proof for genealogical records.
This information is to be used as a reference, please check with the
source for conformation.
Readings have been doubled checked, but mistakes are possible.
Lower Ebenezer Graveyard
the Ebenezer Society
745 Main Street at Mill Road
(Southside of Main Street east of Union Road,
east of Mill Street, Ebenzer
Town of West Seneca, Erie
County, New York
Est. 1845 - 1967
maintanced by the Town Of West Seneca)
Born ? 1803, Died June 15, 1866, Aged 61 yrs 10
mos, '_____ broke in heart, assured now relief,
- from toil and pain, enjoy and be called
(?)' [Top half of stone missing]
- Only the name Arthur, and 'He loved them
on earth, May he meet them in heaven'
- Gottlieb, Died August 30, 1880, 37
- Conrad, Died July 24, 1873, Aged 54 yrs
4 mo 5 days
- Mary, Died April 9, 1890, Aged 65 year
10 mo 21 days 'Wife of Conrad'
- Dorothea A., Born Scharlock, January 15,
1836, Died April 12, 1907
- Johanna, Born Aug 26, 1861, Died
November 1, 1876 'Here
Rests In Peace' 'God will see that you will not be despoiled, But
will have and enjoy your inheritance'
- Louisa, Born April 9, 1868, Died June
20, 1891, Old 23 yrs 2 mo 11 days 'Daughter of Fredrich and
Dorothea''Be well in your
crypt, Until Jesus calls again'
- Catherine, Born March 18, 1818, Died
March 24, 1888
- [Illegible], Born January 9, Soon Died
- [Illegible], Born and Died February 1,
1873 '[Not readable, ends 'children from
- Henriette, Died November 13, 1892, Aged
78 yrs 10 mos. [Three base stones without names, on this
- John, Died April 8, 1887, Age 75
- Friedrich, Died Dec 27, 1866 Aged 63
years 9 mo 22 days
- BRANDT see
- Johann, Born in Margow, August 15, 1800,
Died December 15, 1877 'Here Rests In Peace'
- Maria, Born 1800, Died 1881 'Here
Rests Maria Buchgier' [Broken]
- DETHLOFF see
- Anna L., Born Miller, Died June
1, 1882, Age 50 years 5 mo 3 days 'O rest gently the pilgrim's journey weary, Drying
leads to blessedness,
Your life's friend pure joy of soul,
Took you smiling to happy eternity'
- Katharina, eine geborene Miller, gest den
26 Oct 1876, 65 yr 28 tate"The hard suffering of your life, Over there is
made sweet for you, Now you live in heaven's joy, While our tears
- Christian F., Born August 26, 1814,
'Born Leins, Died January 23, 1814
- ------,'Husband of Christina Elisabeth'
'Here Rests In Peace'
- Walter, No Dates.'Son of Charles and
- Johann, Died February 3, 1871, Age 2
months, one day' 'Son of Wilhelm &
Anna M. Fischer' 'Here rests In Peace'
- John F., Died November 2, 1873, Aged 43
- Johann A., Born Jan 5, 1808, Died Sept
27, 1868, "In toll and trouble, In Life Weakened, God Will Bring
- William E., Born January 20, 1867, Died
January 1, 1891
- 'My Dearest Brother' 'Son of William D.
and May' 'Here Rests In Peace'
- Jacob, Born September 25, 1861, Died
April 22, 1906
- Louise, Born July 24. 1862, Died January
- George, Died January 20, 1893, Aged 54
years 5 mos and 26 days 'Rest well in your crypt, Until Jesus
calls you again,'
- Leo Christian, Born August 17,
- Louisa, [No Dates]
- Sophia, Born Fritz, Died Feb 7, 1869,
Aged 66 yrs
- Robert, [No Information]
- Joann J., Died July 31, 1871, At age 62
years 5 mo 21 days
- 'Long and much have you suffered,
departed from your wife, rest now in your crypt,
- until the meadow grow greener'
- Frederike, Died January 25, 1872, Aged
79 yrs and 10 mo 'Wife of Johann' ' Here Rests Frederike'
- Alwin and Luca, 'Here Rest Our Dear
Children' Died 1874
- Johanna Phillipine, Born in
Valbr. Grandducky Bavaria, Demmiladt in the year 1821, Died June
27, 1876 'Separation __'
- Carl, Born August 12, 1862, Died August
23, 1874 'Mercy and truth to his own, He is to them son and
shield, He who feels the hidden crier,
- and the trust of his own' 'Gone
- Gertrude, Born Rüffer, Born 26 Feb
1819, Died 8 March 1899, Old 80 yrs and 10 days 'Wife of Jacob'
'Here Rest In Peace'
- Jacob, 1822 - 1918
- Maria, Born October 10, 1852, Died 1872,
Old 20 years, 5 months,
'___ Travel over there, we stay in the grave to cry, Although
hearts are separate,
God will unite us, In this belief we turn to Him'
- [Illegible], [Illegible], Died February
- Anna, (Born) Switzerland, Died July 21,
1861, Aged 61 yrs 8 mo
- Dorothea, tochter von Valentine and
Margaret , geb 7 January 1847; gest 24 April 1863; alt 16 juhr 3
mo 17 tate
- Margaretha, 1819 - 1904
- Valentine, Born January 7, ?, Died April
24, 186?, Aged 16 yrs 3 mo, [Epitaph Illegible]. [Stone
- Margaretha, 1819 - 1904
- Henry, Born June 11, 1817, Died
September 14, 1883
- Johanna N., Lüdders, chefrau von
Friederich Krüger, geb 17 November 1806
- Katharina, Born June 8, 1815, died
January 26, 1885, ' Wife of John ''Old 69 years 7 mos
18 days 'Farewell and Until We Meet Again'
- Edward, Born Sept 3, 1869, Died
September 7, 1872 'Son of Flack & Karolina'
- Johann G., Died may 24, 1883, Age 73
years 3 mo 23 days 'The grave frightens not the pious, Who hopes
in God and fears no judgment'
- Henry, Born 1826, Died 1887
- Henry, Born May 26, 1865, Died March,
- Mary K., Born Aug 29, 1860, April 14,
1883, '____, There is my life. And dying is my life,____ Goes
- Date Correction:
- "I visited the Lower Ebenezer Cemetery
in July of this year searching for the headstone
- of my greatgrandmother's sister. I found
it leaning against another headstone. It was intact however
covered with lichens making it difficult to read.
I cleaned it up and did a rubbing.
- Mary was the daughter of John and Sophia
(Evers) Kneiser who are buried at Mt. Hope."
Allison Des Moines, IA
- Anna, Mrs., Died ??
- Frederick, Born September 19, 1816, Died
June 30, 1884
- Friedrich Johanna, Born October 20,
1814, In Bino Mecklenburg Strelitz, Died February 6,
1878 'Here Rests In Peace'
- Corinna ?, Born August 28, 1836 at Hof
EulengangJohnnie, Born March 12, 1882, Died August 10, 1885
- Hans Gehnhausen, Born April 21, 1886 In
West Seneca, Old 19 years 11 mo 23 days 'Departing from my heart
[Illegible] love, When strength has me [Illegible].'
- Karoline, Born April 4, 1840, died June
30, 1892 'Wife of Fritz Leisten' 'Do not hold back the Lord, In
his mercy for my grief rest unreadable'
- Maria, Born November 20, 1874, Died May
22, 1885 'Daughter of Fritz
and Carolina Leisten' 'Sleep softly and with love, Child taken by
the angels, To see the face of God, Who will not slumber'
- Minnie, Born October 15, 1884, Died
December 2, 1884
- Our Bertha Lempner, Born January 11,
1877, Died November 11, 1883. At the grandparents in their
- Johanna A., Born Nov 17, 1806, In
Bavaria Archduchial Domain of Schwerin, Died June 22, 1875
- 'Wife of Friedrich'
- Fanny, Died December 23, 1889, Aged 13
months 10 days
- Johann, d. April 18, 1872, Aged 53 years
"Having fully become dust, Slumber then in the, mold and gentle
- MILLER see
- Gottleib, Died July 10, 1870, Aged 32
yrs 3 mo
- Christoph Pralow, Born Stuer, February
10, 1819, Died August 4, 1877
- 'Here Rests In Peace' 'You
have departed from this world, And from your earthly burden,Your
body rests now in peace, Your spirit dwells in eternity, Up there
in heaven's trustful care, We will see each other again'
- Louise, Born in Petersdorf, Mecklenburg,
Schweringen January 30, 1822, Died June 9, 1882
- [Illegible], Born May 1859, Died May 1,
- John F., Died October 11, 1894, Old 64
years 1 mo 15 days 'It can
be different before evening, Than it was in early morm'
- Emma, Born April 23, 1863; Died October
27, 1873, Aged 10 years 6 mo 41 days (?) [Broken]
- Elizabeth, Born May 3, 1818; Died May
11, 1866, "Wife of John", "Gone to Rest"
- Friedrich, MD, Born July 20, 1795, At
Phillippsburg (Grandduchy) of Baden, Died December 28, 1870
- Maria M., Duchy of Baden, Born June 17,
18??, Died April 2, 18?? 'Here Rests In Peace'
- John J., Born September 27, 1879, Died
July 2, 1880
- 'The mother asks, where has my son gone,
When she cries and is grieving, Say that I am in heaven'
- The listing for the Ebenezer Pioneer
Cemetery contains a "Seiben(r)pinner",
which is probably Seidenspinner from the German Seide=silk and
The extra n is a common separator used to help
- I recently encountered a more modern
tombstone with the Seidenspinner name on it,
in the Mt Hope Cemetery on Union Road between Center and the
- I was in Mt. Hope looking for tombstones
for the East Seneca Langendorfers,
Lambeins, and Korthals to whom I am related.
- Carl, S., Born Feb 6, 1835; Died October
9, 1872 "Peace of his ashes"
- John PH., Born May 30, 1880, Died June
1, 1880 'Infant son of Martin and Catherine', 'Blessed are they,
That die children'
- Maria, Born January 10, 1879, Died
December 1883 'Daughter of M. And C. Spinherrn' 'Jesus, suffer
little children to come unto me.'
- Friedrich, Born February 10, 1820, Died
1882, 61 years 5 mo ? days
- Friedrich Wm., Died September 24, 1888,
Old 16 years 3 mo 18 days 'from the ____'
- ____, [Illegible] [Only name on
- Charles II, Died November 21, 1883 Aged
11 yrs 2 mo 16 days 'Gone before but not forgotten'
- Julia, Born November 13, 1838, Died May
8, 1878 'Wife of Frank J. Wahl'
- Ludwieh, Born 28th ?, 18??, Died April
15, 1876 (?) [Broken in to three pieces.]
- Carolina Brandt, 1822 -
- Carolina Dethoff, 1840 -
- Ernstine Emma, 1825 - 1911
- John, 1825 - No Dates
- George, 'Son of Fredrick and
Philippina', Died April 27, 1883 [Broken into three pieces near
the year of death]
Eddie, [Illegible], 'Our buds of promise plucked, From earth to
bloom in heaven'
- Broken stone.
Born Dethloff, Married January 7, 1866, Died May 5, 1872, At age
of 33 years ? mo 25 days
Broken in half 'that you may be in health again' .
- Illegible, Broken in to four
- Illegible, Broken stone 'Died
- Illegible, Cracked in two, 'Born October
3, 1854, Died November 20, 1872, Age [Illegible].
- Illegible, Grand Duchy Baden, Died
January 13, 1879
- Illegible, Small stone.
- Illegible, Small stone.
- Illegible, Small stone, Broken &
- Illegible, Small stone, 'My